About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, a mom, a singer/songwriter, an author, a public speaker, an abolitionist, an encourager & freedom coach, a seminary student, a worship leader, a lover of life and joy, and most importantly, a follower of Jesus Christ.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Freedom Friday: Resources for the Journey

I'll need your patience today.

I'm having trouble concentrating. Lack of sleep, illness, end of a long week: lots of reasons. So bear with me :)

As I was pondering today's post as well as the next few posts that will end the year, I began to reflect on my journey toward today. I reflected in writing for quite some time before I determined that needed a post of its own :)

Suffice it to say if you've been reading this blog for a while, you have heard me write a lot about learning to walk in freedom, as well as the process of becoming (or reconnecting with) who God created you to be by reconnecting with our power source, the giver of life, our Heavenly Father.

I'm so thankful for the people and resources that shaped me into who I am today. I decided I'd talk about some of those resources here. Also, if you get a gift card for Christmas, or are still looking for a book to give us a gift, I thought I could offer some suggestions, resources that have been helpful to me along the way. I'm linking to the actual book, but if you have a Kindle or something similar, there is a link to the other options on the Amazon.com page. Almost all of these books have a Kindle option.


The Gift of Being Yourself by David G. Benner and M. Basil Pennington

I'm actually not quite done reading this book, but I'm so impressed I will go ahead and mention it now. Plus, it came to my attention through the recommendation of someone I deeply respect. I'm just so taken by the title! The concept fits exactly with what I often speak concerning: true freedom is found when we live in the fullness of who God created us to be.


Think Differently, Live Differently
by Bob Hamp

Bob Hamp is someone I've mentioned frequently in my speaking & writing. I've been familiar with his work for a while, but I finally had the privilege of meeting him this summer and now, through multiple correspondence, consider him a friend. This is a fantastic resource for completely reframing the way you approach your struggles. It is so impactful that leaders with decades of ministry under their belts have told me how this book, and Bob Hamp's teaching in general, have caused them to completely revamp the way they do ministry. You can actually download quite a few podcasts of Bob's teachings for free, as well as watch videos of his classes, here.




Boundaries and Safe People by Cloud & Townsend

Boundaries is a well-known book with many variations: Boundaries in Marriage, Boundaries with Kids, etc. It really is a must-read if you haven't picked it up before. While it's certainly valuable to own a copy, I found Boundaries and Safe People at my local library.

I pair these 2 books together because they have an even more powerful impact when read side-by-side. I read Safe People first and found that to be invaluable. If you struggle with knowing who to trust, where or how to find help & support, or you find that you don't always make the best choices in friends, this book addresses that clearly. I then read Boundaries, which helps the reader to implement some healthy limits in our personal lives and relationships with others.

Breaking Free and Relational Masks by Russell Willingham
Of course, I have to also recommend these 2 books by one of my favorite authors. I especially recommend Relational Masks as a good way to dive into the core beliefs behind your actions, as well as a way to unearth the masks that keep you from discovering who God created you to be.

Anonymous by Alicia Britt Chole
I highlighted one of her resources last week in my post on disillusionment. I'm finishing up this book Anonymous now. I'll let the author's description of the book speak for itself. "We all experience times of hiddenness, when our potential is unseen and our abilities unapplauded. This book redeems those times by reminding us that though we often want to rush through these anonymous seasons of the soul, they hold enormous power to cultivate character traits that cannot be developed any other way!"

And some leadership resources:
Preventing Ministry Failure by Brad Hoffmann & Michael Todd Wilson
Every time I mention this resource to a pastor or ministry leader I respect, I am shocked they haven't heard of it! This is a truly phenomenal book concerning an issue close to my heart. I have always asked the question, "Why do leaders fall?" I mean, I know the literal answer to that question - because they made destructive choices. But how did they get to the point of making those choices? Have we set up such an unattainable standard in our churches and ministries that leaders are not allowed to be vulnerable with their struggles?

Years ago, I read this article, 5 Lies That Lead to an Affair by Julie Ferwerda. The main thing I took away from the article was this: it's the tiny compromises that become the huge compromises. This woman didn't wake up one day and decide to have an affair. It was a slow progression of little, only slightly destructive choices that may have appeared harmless from the outside. I also believe part of the issue was that she felt she didn't have the freedom to be honest about her real-life struggles with those around her.

Back to this book: it's written in workbook style and explores a myriad of issues, including having a life purpose statement, creating an adequate support system, understanding our calling, and setting up adequate safeguards. A must-have for ministry leaders today.

And last, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable by Patrick Lencioni
This book was given to me by my spiritual mentor. The minute I started reading it, I barely put it down unless I absolutely had to (feeding the kids, changing diapers, you know!). I read it in one day. Lencioni is a powerful storyteller who creates a fictional tale about an organization that needs a major overhaul. He concludes the book with practical help for creating a unified and constructive team.

I hope you are able to pick up one of these resources for yourself or someone else. And no, I don't know most of these people and I'm not getting paid to endorse these products!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about the last book (5 dysfunctions of a team) and I've been thinking about getting it so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it's a fantastic resource, and very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendations! I got a couple of them for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete