About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, a mom, a singer/songwriter, an author, a public speaker, an abolitionist, an encourager & freedom coach, a seminary student, a worship leader, a lover of life and joy, and most importantly, a follower of Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Morning Meditation: Prayer Requests Intertwined with Truth (Psalm 71 series)

Today, we will be beginning a new series on Psalm 71. I encourage you to read the whole psalm here.

Here are today's verses (1-2):
O LORD, you are my refuge; never let me be disgraced.
Rescue me! Save me from my enemies, for you are just.
Turn your ear to listen and set me free.

David wrote this psalm in his old age. We see in Scripture that the end of David's life was full of strife and pain.

David had followed God his whole life; would God continue to come through?

We know following God does not promise us an easy life. "For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike." Matthew 5:45 (NLT) David recognized this truth while acknowledging that God is his only hope.

Notice how he begins this psalm, intertwining truth about God with prayer. David had serious issues to bring before God, but he didn't just bring his laundry list of prayers and leave it at that.

Our laundry list can often be quite depressing. David recognized the importance of reminding himself of the truth of God's character and reminding God of His promises.

David states:
God is refuge - don't allow disgrace.
God is rescuer - save me.
God is just. God is listening.
God sets free.

When things look grim, we can remind ourselves of God's character, His heart, and His desires for His children.

Lord, help us to remember to bring our requests to You alongside reminders of who You are, what You have done, and what You are able to do. Be refuge, be rescuer, be just, as You have said You will be. Set us free, Lord, as only You are able. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment