About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, a mom, a singer/songwriter, an author, a public speaker, an abolitionist, an encourager & freedom coach, a seminary student, a worship leader, a lover of life and joy, and most importantly, a follower of Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Morning Meditation: Safe with the Lord (Psalm 25 series)

Today, I'm beginning a series on Psalm 25.

This is a psalm of David. It's interesting to note that this psalm is an acrostic poem, the verses of which begin with the successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet (as seen in the footnote).

The psalm begins:

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
in you I trust, O my God.

As I read this passage for likely the 100th time, I stopped there, wondering, What does "soul" mean?

The Hebrew word Nephesh can mean "soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion, that which breathes, the inner being of man, seat of the appetites, emotions and passions, activity of mind, activity of the will, activity of the character," among other things.

The Hebrew word Batach, translated "trust," can also mean "to be secure, to feel safe."

It seems as if the psalmist is in essence crying out to God, Lord, I take to You my passions, the place where all my appetites sit, my life, my very breath - I carry it to You. These things are all safe with You. I am safe with You, Lord. All that I am and desire and hope for - I take to You and trust You with these things.

Stop for a minute. Pause and take a breath.

Do you believe your emotions are safe with the Lord?

Your deepest dreams, desires, and passions can rest in His hands?

Your thoughts, your appetites, your very breath can be lifted up to Him?

As you journey through this week, pause and remember these 1 1/2 verses. When challenges come, emotions that feel overwhelming, remember you can lift them to the Lord. They don't scare Him. He can be trusted with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment